PMSS or Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme or Pradhanmantri special scholarship scheme was introduced for the children and wives of the martyred army soldiers, ex-servicemen or ex-guards, (below officers rank only) by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
With the support of National Defense funds in 2006 -07, PMSS was introduced under the guidance of National Defense fund, for the children are encouraged to pursue their higher technical education and the professional degree courses from the government recognized universities. The widows of the army soldiers are also supported and are helped to pursue further education.
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) is launched for Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) and Assam Rifled (AR).
NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS
The total number of scholarships which will be approved by the government will be two thousand in numbers. These two thousand scholarships will be equally given to the boys and the girls for each academic year including the renewal applications.
DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
The PMSS application is for two to five years of the period. The students need to renew their application every year. A scholarship will be canceled in case of failure or reappearance of the student.
The eligibility criteria for the students who can apply for PMSS
- The children and the widows of Central Armed Police Force and Assam Rifled personnel, who died during their duty.
- The children of that personnel who got disabled while serving the government.
- The children of ex CAPF and AR, who earned the Gallantry Award.
- The children of the retired and serving personnel of CAPF and AR, those below the officer’s rank.
- The children who scored a minimum of 60% of marks in MEQ (Minimum Entry Qualification), applies to fresh applicants.
- The children applying for their renewal of the application needs to pass the previous examination held, scoring the minimum of 50% marks.
- The students who are studying in their second semester or so are not eligible for the scholarship.
- The students who are studying abroad are not eligible for this scholarship scheme.
The courses which are offered in the PMS scheme are mentioned below:
- Medical courses
- Technical courses
- Management courses
- Master degree courses are not offered in PMSS except MBA and MCA
- Distance learning courses are not permitted under this scholarship scheme.
SCHOLARSHIP AMOUNT OFFERED
PMSS offers the scholarship amount for the students is:
- For girls the scholarship amount is 27 thousand per annum, that is the monthly fund offered is 2250/- INR
- For boys the scholarship amount is 24 thousand per annum, that is the monthly fund offered is 2000/- INR
The documents which are required by the students for filling up the application and completing the process for scholarship scheme are:
- Service certificate (of the personnel served for the government to be issued by the head)
- Bonafide certificate (which is issued by the Dean/ principal/ registrar)
- Bank details (including account number, IFS code, blank canceled cheque, and with the name of the student)
- Scanned and attested copy of 10th and 12th
- Birth certificate (of the student)
- Death certificate (if the personnel died during war or his service)
- Disability certificate (if the personnel become disabled during any service to the government)
- Certificate of Gallantry award (if the personnel had achieved)
- Candidate’s photograph
REGISTRATION FOR PMSS
The students need to visit the official website for the scholarship scheme. On the home screen of the official website, there will be an option for registration. The student needs to register him/ her by filling up the required information on the application form. The student will get the user ID and password after registration. The ID and password will help to again login if the student needs to edit or fill any other detail. The student needs to click on the submit button after completing the application and uploading the photograph or other documents required. The application form will be forwarded for verification.
The online application form should be completed with all the basic information and by uploading all the required documents on or before the last date of submission. The students can also fill the offline application form. The form should be downloaded from the official website, if submitted in any other format, will not be considered.
One candidate is allowed to register only ones and to only apply for one course. Multiple registrations can cause the cancellation or rejection of the application as well as strict action could be taken against them. The information provided by the students should be correct and true.
Selection will be done on the basis of the category of ex-servicemen/ ex-coastguard and on the percentage scored in MEQ.
PAYMENT OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship fund will be directly credited to the bank account of the applicant. The first payment will be credited as soon as the student will be selected for the scholarship. The student needs to renew by submitting online payment cum renewal form with the bonafied certificate issued by the college or institution attended, signed by the head. The renewal process is needed to be done each year after the completion of their each academic year till the completion of the whole course.
It is necessary for every student to submit their bank details as the funds will be transferred to their respective account. The account should be in the name of the candidate himself/ herself. Their bank account must be linked to their aadhar number. Accounts should be in State Bank of India or in Punjab National Bank.